- He tells me that somewhere
in the catacombs of his mind
He still remembers my fragrance
when a wisp of a scent
Displayed on the counters of
- a Department store assails him.
- He tells me that sometimes
he smells me in an elevator,
the fragrance lingering for many floors
And he fondles his breath
- hoping to touch me with desire
Leaning over his heart, telling me
- You will always remain my prisoner.
- A lifetime has come and gone
- Years of nods, frowns, and smiles
Have paraphrased our communications
and we have become fluent
In our own emotional shorthand
- As we wonder how we let each other get away.