London Trip (3)

Once I realized that I had no say in the matter, I resigned myself to the fact that I had to go to the hospital and have my problem taken care of. I called Humana my supplemental insurance company at home, and informed them, packed a small overnight bag, and went to the local Hillingdon Hospital.

The place was packed with patients, waiting to be seen by the triage nurses or the ER physicians. I waited in line for almost half hour before I could be seen by a triage nurse, despite the fact that I had a letter in my hand from the consultant that I had had a heart attack and that I should be seen by the ER physician immediately and admitted. After about half hour when my turn came, the nurse whose attitude was on the top of The Seeing Eye of London, had no time for me. She was asking me all sorts of questions as to why I was there, (as if I was faking my problem, just to be seen by her august majesty!), and what was the reason for admission etc. After explaining to her again and again about the setback I had with my health, she finally took the letter from the consultant; I was told to wait right there, and she disappeared into the bowels of that place. Returned after twenty minutes and asked that I follow her. We were taken into the ER part of the hospital. Never once did she ask me if I needed some assistance, like wheel chair or anything.

Once inside the ER and a cubicle, things started happening. A cannula was inserted in my vein and IV medication started to bust the platelet aggregation etc. Three hours later, I was transferred to an “Acute Medical Unit!” It consisted of a large hall with ten beds in it, separated by shower curtain like plastics. There was no question about privacy, HIPPA, or care for the patient. Each bed had about three or four visitors, sitting around talking loud, and the nurses were questioning the patients all personal details about their home lives, bowel habits, sugar problems etc. etc. Nobody spoke softly, even the nurses! Every one was loud and the cacophony was nerve wracking! This went on till about 12:30 in the night. Finally I called the nurse and asked for an eye cover so I could block the fluorescent lights in the room, and ear guards to block the noise of the visitors and the nurses. I asked them if there was no “quiet time for the patients to rest!” At that, the nurse stood in the middle of the room and yelled for all the visitors to leave, because some patients want to sleep!! I wanted to crawl into the ground!

In the morning was taken to the cardiac hospital around 11 by ambulance, where the situation was more professional. A couple of hours after admission there, I was taken to the cardiac cath lab, and an angiogram was done. I was told that I had a complete blockage of my right coronary artery, in the proximal part (Where the artery came out of the Aorta), and the catheter couldn’t be passed through the clot! I had such an out of body experience at that time. I really thought that I would be completely free of problem, and my blood vessels would be normal. I was not scared, not shocked, not stunned, just a “hmmm, is that so?” kind of feeling. Then I was told that because I had good collaterals, I did not need the stents put in, and that I was free to fly back home! I was ready to kiss the guy.

I am showing an angiogram picture of the blood vessel that is blocked in my heart as I write this. Hopefully, I will get a stent in the near future and have the blood supply restored as is seen in the second image here. I took these two images from google.

Image result for diagram of blockage of proximal right coronary artery

I am waiting to go to St. Louis next week to see a super specialist there who does stenting of difficult cases. Apparently, my blockage was happening over several months, and the last straw was on that Saturday when the lumen was completely closed. The clot was too hard to put the catheter tip through, and personally I think, that they didn’t want to, to avoid complications. This was just well and good by me, and I appreciated that. I didn’t want to stay there one day more than was necessary.

So now I have started cardiac rehab, and am feeling like a wet rag. Sleeping a lot. But, the best thing is there is no fear. Nothing; not at all! Very Zen about it all. Enjoying the solitude at home. M is away in New York having fun with his brother. Saadia and Sayeed check up on me two or three times a day, bring me food which I really do not need, there is so much in the fridge already, and I have my books to keep me company. Continuing my painting, and hoping to finish editing my book for publication this year yet!

So that’s it dear friends. To all of you, who have written personally, have sent such GORGEOUS flowers and for the loving wishes of care and compassion, I am deeply and humbly grateful.


Hope you know how much I love all of you.






















































































ining to





































About Zakiah

I write poetry and some fiction, have a book that was published in 2012. . . Stray Thoughts/Winged Words. I have four grandchildren, ages 16 and half to almost 16 months. I love the ocean, and grew up along the Indian Ocean in South India. I am a retired physician. Don't know much else to say. Thanks for reading. That has been my profile for so many years. My daughter Saadia a great poet and story teller, has two sons; the oldest grandson is now 21 years old, doing architectural engineering at Missouri S&T in Rolla MO. His younger brother is almost 16 and taking driving lessons seriously and is in High School. The other two grandsons, children of my son Sayeed, are 9 and 5. I have recently published another book titled Gulistan, A home of Flowers. It has stories and memories of my childhood and of a distant land which I still consider as my HOME., even though I have lived here in the US for more than fifty years. Hope to see you on my blog.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to London Trip (3)

  1. slmret says:

    Dear Zakiah — The more I hear of this story, the more harrowing it becomes. I can’t believe the lack of concern for a heart patient! Was there any concern on the way home — did you have special instructions or meds in case you had problems in the plane? I am really glad that you have quiet things to do at home to keep you busy but not exerted! Solitude and rest are the best things for you at this point — though I wish things were moving a little faster towards medical intervention! Again, take care, and do what the doctors tell you! Love and hugs!

  2. mrswrangler says:

    So scary. I am sorry that one nurse was so rude. I am glad you made it back to the US. Hope and pray for a speedy recovery

  3. beowulf222 says:

    That’s definitely scary, and I hope you make a recovery. As for the British hospital experience, say hello to the NHS and consecutive British governments not funding it sufficiently.

  4. The ER rooms here are similar – no privacy and everyone’s medical history is discussed in the open. The wait times are long.

    You have another book coming out? Wow!

  5. Tree says:

    Oh my, what an experience. I’m glad you were able to come home, that hospital sounds crazy!

  6. Your hospital experience in London sounds so wild and scary and wow…I don’t have words. 😦 I’m just so sorry to hear you had to go through all of that….away from your home.

    Here if you enter an ER and they think you MIGHT have even a hint of a heart issue, they move you right to the front of the line. No waiting. I have a congenital heart problem and often have severe chest pain…when I’ve gone to the ER in several states in the US, they have treated me quickly and kindly and proficiently.

    Again, glad you are home and getting care in the US! Continued prayers for safety, healing, and recovery! Enjoy your restful peaceful activities. Follow Dr. orders. Let your family spoil you with loving care. 🙂


  7. Your experience was crazy and scary. Waits here can be long in the ER (depending on the hospital and unfortunately at times if you have insurance or not) but the rooms are nothing like that and most places give good care. I am so sorry you had to go through all that mess. I’m also glad you are home and safe. I hope you get the stint soon. Keep that peaceful, great, attitude. Love ya.

  8. You were lost in that hospital looking than a XIXth century ‘ s one ! Fortunately the second was serious and made an excellent diagnose allowing you to fly back the US . Our body is a wonder but always in a balance .
    Fortunately you know the good direction to take, Zakia, and know a good surgeon who will make the remend of your coronaries .
    O knew you had heart problem , Zakia, while you were in London , by Janet who gives me the informaions by a comment..
    Love ❤

  9. theinfiniterally says:

    It sounds like things had finally started to take a positive turn by the time you got home, if that term can be applied to anything in a situation like that. I’m glad to be caught up, and I thank you for relaying everything that happened. I look forward to reading more about what happened after and how you’re doing now, but that will be another night. Hugs and prayers, for you and family.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s